Welcome to the fifth issue of ‘Happy Workplace Weekly’, where we provide news and advice for forward thinking managers. As a part of our #workplacehappiness theme, this week has been about you. Yep, we’re looking at we can help you to become a better you. Why? Because you’re a leader, and if you perform better, so does your business and others around you. That means more progress, more value, more notoriety, more money and more happiness! (not necessarily in that order) To get things going this week, here’s a couple of interesting posts to help you grow:
- Our friends over at buffer put out an interesting post late last month on: The psychology of language: which words matter the most when we talk.
- As the saying goes “If you want to be successful, find someone who has achieved the results you want and copy what they do and you’ll achieve the same results.” To help you do just that, we put together: 6 productivity secrets used by great CEO’s
- We know you work hard. We also know how important it is to take care of yourself. Here’s: How to deal with stress as an entrepreneur or manager.
- Interestingly, some managers are expected to live and breathe work. HBR look at: Why some men pretend to work 80-hour weeks
- Who would you rather work with Jerky Janet or a Friendly Fred? Entrepreneur explains: 10 Ways to Be the Person People Like to Work With:
While we recognise that our readers are diverse, we think it’s important to read things you think aren’t relevant to your industry, to get a different perspective. Some times “out-of-the-box” is just what you need.
- Apple’s previous VP of retail Ron Johnson explains why: Retail isn’t broken. Stores are
- While everyone seems to be talking about millennials, we think it’s important to think about a huge portion of the workforce – Baby boomers. Here’s: The Win-Win of leveraging baby boomers
Feeling like a little inspiration this week? TED has got what you need. Here’s the top picks for getting you inspired:
- The happy secret to better work.
- How to succeed? Get more sleep.
- Are you human?
- Your elusive creative genius
- “Wait It Out”
- The art of stillness
- Flow, the secret to happiness
- The power of time off
- How to make stress your friend
- All it takes is 10 mindful minutes
Quote of the week
Become the kind of leader that people would follow voluntarily; even if you had no title or position. —Brian Tracy