If you’ve ever worked in a part time or casual role before you’ll know that organising your shifts isn’t always a simple task. I remember a spreadsheet being stuck on the notice board with staff scrambling to get their names on the sheet or marking unavailability for the week ahead. When someone was sick, the admin person or manager had to take time away from bookkeeping, chasing up invoices or attending to more important things to make sure someone was able to cover their shift. This ended up in around half an hour wasted, with the manager calling up all staff not working that day, and crossing their fingers that they could come in. Not only this, but as staff, we were only able to put our shifts in for the next week ahead (not the greatest system for planning ahead). To put it lightly, it was a mess. To be fair, there’s a lot to consider when organising staff rosters.
- How many staff will you need?
- How many managers will you need?
- Which staff are available?
- Which staff can fill-in for those sick?
- What are the pay rates of each staff?
- What are the awards for specific times?
- When does each staff member go on their breaks?
- What person is working in what area?
Working in excel is obviously a better solution to pen and paper, but this still requires back-and-forth communication, it doesn’t neatly consider pay and award rates, and it’s far from a central location accessible anywhere. If your excel template looks neat it probably resembles something like this:
Which (let’s be honest here) isn’t great. If you’re a manager in hospitality or retail, you’ll know these problems all too well. If you’re an staff, share this with them and they’ll thank you. Either way, here’s 5 reasons to switch to a cloud employee scheduling system:
- Roster online. Create, manage and notify rosters online. This means anytime, anywhere you have access to the internet (even on your smartphone).
- Instant notifications. Notify staff via text, email or in-app notifications. They’ll be able to respond, automatically updating the system. No more phone calls or time wasted communicating back and forth.
- Better communication. Staff are immediately notified on their phone when their shifts have changed. Long gone are the days of communication breakdown and forgotten shifts.
- Staff can easily trade shifts with each other. A simple manager approval means it takes no time and no effort to get work shifts covered when you need it.
- Centralised system. Leave, vacation and availability are all centralised online, making it easy to keep track of, and allowing for future planning. See rosters and staff availability in one place.
- Manage multiple locations easily by switching workplaces in your app. Manage multiple locations, franchises and allow different managers to roster their teams.
- Get better insights. Want to know how many hours have been rostered? How much it’s cost, and the breakdown of locations? These are just some of the reporting and analytics statistics available in online employee scheduling software.
- Manage overtime and payroll. Want to know how many staff you can allocate for your budget? What about how much it will cost you if your staff work overtime? Have all awards and payroll in one system. When you’re ready to make payroll, just export it to your favourite system or a CSV.
- Excel is ugly. Ok, granted it’s not the most important reason for making a switch, but looking at an ugly interface means it’s harder to quickly assess what’s going on, and what needs to be done. Rather than having a “home-built” system (as pretty as you may have made it), it’s still running in excel, so it’s not purpose built for staff rostering.
- It’s not transferrable. When who ever is the master of managing staff is there the business runs smoothly. When they’re away, or the business grows, that responsibility needs to be shared. Having an excel spreadsheet that only they understand isn’t the best scenario when you want to scale things bigger or need someone else to cover their work. Purpose built software is easy and simple to use.
If you’re curious to see if you can manage staff rostering better, sign up for a free trial. It’s fully featured and easy to use. You’ll never want to go back to excel again.